Eye wrinkles are the fine lines that appear under the eye area due to multiple factors. Eye wrinkles or eye lines are usually formed when our body loses its capacity to supply collagen and elastin which helps in keeping our skin firm, supple and elastic.
The skin areas under and around the eyes are known as the most sensitive areas of the face. This is because the area under the eye has a thin skin and a lot of blood vessels are located in the area, without the presence of oil glands to maintain or produce moisture in the under eye area.
First, it starts with some fine lines and then these lines get deeper which is called wrinkles. Those wrinkles cause ridges and creases which form around the eyes, aging you and make you look less attractive.
Causes of Eye Wrinkles
Eye wrinkles are caused by many factors some of which are mentioned below:
- Aging – One of the most common causes of eye wrinkles is the general aging process. The wrinkles start to form slowly as you age because it’s the most delicate skin which becomes dry and thin over the years. Menopause is one of the biggest causes of eye wrinkles which affect elastin and collagen in the skin due to the reduction of estrogen.
- Smoking – Smoking is bad for you, especially when you look at your skin health. Smoking makes your wrinkles appear darker and deeper. Smoking lessens the flow of blood and makes it virtually impossible for your skin to stay healthy because it causes the blood vessels to narrow in the outer layer of the skin.
- Facial expression and movements – Performing the same facial movements throughout the day, especially, those movements which cause creases on the skin also results in wrinkles. Frowning, laughing and squinting are some common movements that lead to eye wrinkles.
- Sun exposure – Sun exposure is one of the most important things which should be avoided by everyone. The harmful UV rays give off free radicals which are produced by the sun’s ultraviolet rays. It not only leads to fine lines and wrinkles but also increases the depth of dark circles.
- Nutritional habits – Another reason behind wrinkles is improper eating. You should involve yourself in healthier eating like fruits, fish, and veggies that are rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, and antioxidants. You should also keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water along with smoothies, fresh juices, and green tea.
5 Home Remedies To Remove Your Eye Wrinkles
Pineapple is known to contain an active enzyme bromelain, which is an anti-inflammatory agent which helps to prevent and fight eye wrinkles. It also helps in removing the dead cells from the eye area.
Method: Take some pineapple juice and massage it properly under the eyes. Leave the juice for about 15-20 minutes and then rinse with water. Repeat the same process for several days.
This habit will help you to treat wrinkles and will also prevent the early onset of wrinkles. Pineapple helps in exfoliation of skin as it has astringent properties.
Cucumber slices act as a moisturizer and keep the area under the eye well moisturized and also keeps away the skin pigmentation and dark circles.
Method: Take few slices of cucumber and place it under the eyes for about 15-20 minutes every day. You can also make a cucumber puree with 1-2 tsp of yogurt. Apply this paste to the areas under the eyes and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash off your eyes with cold water. You can repeat this process once or twice a week.
This habit is an excellent way to get rid of wrinkles as it possesses high antioxidant content which increases elastin, boosts collagen and hydrates the skin under the eyes.
Applying coconut oil will help in providing the required amount of moisture to the skin. Coconut oil works wonder with skin rejuvenation and rehydration as it contains all the essential antioxidants and vitamin E content.
Method: Take 1 tsp of coconut oil with a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix these two ingredients and apply it gently on the wrinkles and leave it for 15-20 minutes. Wash off the area with water. You can also massage some coconut oil under the eyes and leave it for the whole night and wash it off the next day when you wake up.
Soft massaging of coconut oil every day will help in removing the wrinkle lines and will help the skin to bask in softness and health. It will also keep the skin hydrated and will reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
Olive oil is a wonderful remedy for eye wrinkles. Virgin olive oil helps in retaining the moisture around the skin and is also a humectant like honey. Olive oil delays the premature aging of the skin as it possesses protective antioxidants along with Vitamin E and Vitamin K.
Method: Take few drops of olive oil and massage it gently on your skin for about 10-15 minutes. Leave it for few minutes and then wash it off with water. You can also take some warm olive oil and massage it gently and leave it for the night. Wash your face the next morning. Repeat the process regularly.
Olive oil when applied to the under eye areas keeps the skin supple and locks the moisture. You can also add a few drops of lemon to revive your skin’s youthful glow. Olive oil when applied at night keeps the skin wrinkle-free in the morning.
Ginger possesses a lot of benefits for the skin. Ginger increases radiance, promotes an even skin tone and slows down aging. It acts as a humectant and natural moisturizer and helps in increasing the blood circulation to the area under the eye.
Method: Add half tsp of honey to 1 tsp of ginger extract. Mix it properly and massage the under eyes area with this mixture for about 10 minutes. You should massage this mixture very gently on the skin. Let it rest on the skin for an hour and wash off your face. You can repeat this process daily.
Applying the mixture daily will ensure nourishment with good blood circulation on the skin under the eyes and will moisturize the area and will prevent the wrinkle line from appearing. You can also eat a small piece of ginger along with 1 tsp of honey to reap its various skin benefits because in some case applying of ginger on the skin will produce a strong burning sensation.
Apart from the remedies mentioned above, there are numerous other home remedies which can be used to get rid of the eye wrinkles. Include these home remedies in your daily skin care routine to keep your skin youthful and free from wrinkles.