Winters are probably the favorite season for everyone, but indeed, winters are not much fun for your skin. During winters our skin does not like to cooperate with us!
The cold and chilly weather makes us feel alive and fresh, but the dry air steals the moisture away from the skin leaving it dead and dry. In such a scenario, if immediate and proper care is not taken then the skin gets prone to cracking and bleeding.
During these months, the skin tends to get itchy, dull and dry due to lack of moisture. As hot baths or showers, and harsh cleaners robs the moisture from the air so do the indoor heat. Your skin thus demands a lot of pampering along with a good skin care regime to keep it glowing healthily.
If You’re worried about what to do and how to manage your glowing skin, how to take care of healthy nails, how to stop hair fall to combat the winters, the not to worry, the article below will provide you with sufficient tips for a healthier and glowing skin even in the winters.
How is our skin care affected in winter?
The extreme weather might play a disaster with our day-to-day lives, but it is having a severe impact at a more personal level. With central heating and freezing temperatures outside, flaky skin, sore red patches, and chapped lips have become a daily occurrence.
When it is freezing weather, there is less moisture in the environment; the lack of moisture is blended by the wind which blows away moisture from the central heating and skin. In a dry environment, water is lost from skin cells which leave the skin feeling chapped and sore. and due to this reason, we lose our skin, nails, and as well hair. but we can maintain our skin in winter with some beauty tips.
Nevertheless, a good care can protect our skin from these extremities of temperature damages. However, skin is one of the most delicate organs and its kind varies from person to person. Some people have a more delicate skin type and more prone to skin issues while others are comparatively stronger. With variation in skin type, the care and management regime also varies. Following are the tips and tricks to take care of your skin, the way it requires!
Winter Skin Care for People with Oily Skin
During the winter season, oily skin type requires specialized treatment and care. Oily skin means the ability to reflect things and high level of irritation. The bright patches and greasy feeling on the face are something which is not liked by anyone. Here are some tips which need to be taken care off to treat oily skin:
- Pick the right moisturizer – even during the winters, you need to use an oil-free moisturizer. Many moisturizers are available right from water to gel-based for oily skin. The products available are enriched with vitamin E which is the best choice for oily skin.
- Exfoliate Your Skin – By cleaning and exfoliating the skin, you need to maintain a healthy skin tone. You need to use an excellent exfoliating gel which possesses minute granules enriched with vitamin E to achieve wonderful results.
- Avoid Petroleum Jelly – You need to avoid the use of petroleum jelly for the lips and face. Instead, make the use of herbal or medicated lip balms for chapped lips.
- Use Tea Tree Oil – Generally, hot water is used for bathing in winter. The hot water must be mixed with tea tree oil must be used to restore the moisture balance of the skin and keeps the skin softer and supple.
- Use Oil-Free Makeup Products – Avoid the use of those products which causes comedones. While buying foundation or other makeup products ensure that you choose a water-based and oil-free cream or liquid. You should make use of powder-based products with a matte finish as they tend to last longer.
- Use A Clean Towel – Oily skin can be prevented by using a clean towel. A clean towel lowers the number of breakouts. Pat your skin dry and do not rub your skin after washing the face.
- Stay Hydrated – You should at least consume 8-10 glasses of water daily. Plenty of water helps to keep your skin hydrated and flushes out the bacteria and toxins from the skin’s pores.
Winter Skin Care Tips for People with Dry Skin
Dry skin occurs when the top layer of skin lacks the required amount of hydration which is needed. This layer starts to break down and develops a visible crack and fine line or a flaky texture. Here are some tips which need to be taken care off to treat dry skin:
- Skip the hot shower – Hot waters dries out the skin thoroughly. You should make use of lukewarm water and soap which is the most gentle and natural one to avoid the skin from drying.
- Employ Staples to Exfoliate – You need to use sugar or salt scrub to exfoliate which helps in removing the dead skin cells and creates a fresh skin which is more likely to absorb moisturizers.
- Moisturize while damp – Make use of the moisturizers when you are fresh from the bath or shower. This helps the lotion to lock in moisture when your skin is at its most moist.
- Douse yourself with milk – Milk is quite soothing, and its lactic acid acts as an essential element for the skin. Milk helps you to get rid of the itchy and dry skin. You just need to take a bowl of milk, dip a clean cloth and apply it to your skin for five minutes.
- Slather yourself with olive oil and honey – Olive oil and honey possesses some fantastic properties and acts as a great friend to the skin. You just need to combine the ingredients and apply it as a lotion to the dry areas and rest for 20 minutes and then just wipe it off with a warm washcloth.
Diet and Supplements for Extra Nourishment
Apart from various tips and treatment available, you need to take proper care of your diet and supplement for the extra nourishment of the skin during winters. These are as follows:
- Iron supplements help in revving up your energy levels and encourage fresh and healthy blood oxygen delivery to the cells, muscles, spleen, lungs and bone marrow.
- Calcium is necessarily required to support healthy bone and teeth.
- Vitamin D is another essential requirement which helps you to protect your immune system. Vitamin D is also helpful in protecting us from infections and cold.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are also required because it helps to boost up your mood, ward off the sniffles and improve your mental focus.
- Vitamin E is another essential element which infuses the skin with moisture and soothes flaky, itchy and red skin and brittle nails and hair loss against free radical damage, windburn, and damage.
- The Vitamin B complex helps in converting carbohydrates into energy and also metabolizes proteins and fats for fuel. This supplement helps in preventing the feeling of sadness, holiday anxiety, and depression.
Therefore, proper care and treatment are necessarily required to treat all types of skin. As winter proves to be harmful to all the skin types, so, essential tips and remedies must be kept in mind to enjoy the winter season by keeping your skin to look smooth and youthful. Without proper care, the harsh winter winds can worsen the problem.