The world antibiotics awareness shall begin from 13th of November and commence till the 19th of November 2017. United Nation and WHO Launch a campaign For better use Of Antibiotics in everyone’s life.
So, Read some facts and significance about why world celebrate the antibiotics awareness week and advice to use antibiotics?
What are Antibiotics?
Antibiotics, the name originates from a Greek word ‘antiviotika,’ are also known as antibacterial. These contain a medicinal value and are used to inhibit, avoid and treat infections arising from bacteria.
They help to prevent the growth of these harmful bacterial by hindering its growth or completely killing them off. However, common viruses like the flu or the common cold hold resilience, and are hardly affected by these antibiotics.
There are special drugs to limit the growth and spread of viruses, and they are known as antivirals or antiviral drugs.
The globally posed threat
- However, the global threat posed now is the altering of these bacterial reactions to the usage of these medicines.
- The sheer effectiveness and the accessibility of these antibiotics led to instances of it being overused. Hence, leading to the growth of its induced resistance.
- The bacteria, instead of human beings, begin to become resistant to the effect of these antibiotics. Ultimately they begin affecting humans and animals on a large scale, only this time they are much stronger. It becomes very difficult to treat them, or inhibit their growth, as now they have altered their responses, and know how to outsmart the antibiotics.
- The timeline of these antibacterial resistant bacteria is highly interesting.
- As far back as 1928, the first antibiotic was discovered, penicillin. Its resistance was identified around the 1940’s era.
- Then, came the discovery of tetracycline and macrolides, and the documentation of their resistances soon followed them.
- Finally, around the time period of 1985 to 1993, was discovered the antibiotic named carbapenems, whose resistance was soon identified, as well, in the respective dates. However, now it has been close to 30 long years since a new class of antibiotics has been learned.
- The AMR or the antimicrobial resistance is now taking the world by a storm.
The cause and effect
All of this has only lead to more cases of prolonged treatments, higher cost of hospital bills, and the heightened rate of mortality. A research study conducted in 2014 showed some eye-opening results.
Almost as close to 700,000 died due to antimicrobial resistance, compared to 300,000 from measles, 100,000-120,000 from cholera, and, 60,000 from tetanus, (all in approximate values).
A way out of this problem
To find the most appropriate solution to this problem, the world needs to urgently alter its system of assigning the same old antibiotics as medications and treatments for bacterial infections and diseases.
Even if the new medicine is being made, it has to be done with thorough research and efficiency so as to create new medications which can outsmart these already strengthened bacteria with antimicrobial resistance.
To make this into a reality, the entire world population needs to practice nontoxic and benign food habits, cleaner hygienic conducts, and safer sex.
All of this must be done with due importance to limit the spread of any and all kinds of bacterial infections in the first place. Major behavioral changes among the mass are required to make all of this into a reality.
For the individuals
For effective prevention and control of the spread of bacteria infused infections and diseases, an individual can:
Click Here- WHO Poster- 2017
- Limit the usage of antibiotics only when it has been prescribed by a qualified efficient health professional.
- Restrict the demand for antibiotics to not at all, unless its use has been explicitly prescribed by your health professional.
- No matter what happens, you must always and without fail, follow your expert medical help’s opinions and advice while consuming antibiotics.
- Never in taking leftover antibiotics, and also never sharing them.
- Infections caused from bacterial growth and attack can be prevented through daily practices of safer and cleaner habits like, always washing your hands properly before consuming your food, keeping your distance from people who are sick so that you do not get their bacteria transmission on you, practicing sex in a safer, protected way, and always keeping up to date with your vaccinations dosages.
- You can also prepare food in a much more hygienic manner following the guidelines laid out by the WHO, where it has been stated to keep the raw and the cooked food separate, keeping clean of your kitchen area as to contaminate your food, cooking the food thoroughly before serving them up for meals, keeping the raw materials separate and in a clean area, and to always keep the food stored in a safe temperature so that the food never gets spoiled.
For the Policymakers
For effective prevention and control of the spread of bacteria infused infections and diseases, the policymakers can:
- Make certain of a full-bodied, healthy and absolutely efficient national action plan to challenge antibiotic resistance in its place.
- Improve strategies for surveillance over the misuse and over usage of antibiotics by common people.
- Advance better-planned programmes, procedures, and execution of infection hindrance and control methods.
- Standardize, legalize and endorse the correct usage and discarding of prescribed, progressed and quality medicines.
- Make the public self-aware of the cons and pros of the usage of better medicines and harmful antibiotics by making all kinds of information regarding that matter, unrestricted.
For the Health professionals
For effective prevention and control of the spread of bacteria infused infections and diseases, the health professionals can:
- Avoid chances of contaminations by making sure of the cleanliness and the hygiene of your fingers, tools of use, and the environment you reside in.
- Only recommend and hand out antibiotics when the patients are in extreme need of it, according to the current course of action.
- Provide a due report of any cases of antibiotic-resistant infections to investigation squads.
For effective prevention and control of the spread of bacteria infused infections and diseases, the agriculture sector can:
- Only provide antibiotics medicines to animals who are under proper and qualified veterinary observation.
- Not practice the usage of antibiotics for development elevation or to avert diseases in healthy animals.
- Provide the animals with proper dosages of vaccinations to prevent any need for the use of antibiotics for the aversion of diseases in the first place.
Thanks for Reading this articles. We are also advised to you better use of Antibiotics. Please Share this article and participate in this Campaign.